Sunday, November 23, 2014

My injury

On August 25th 2014, I had met an accident at customer site. Heavy and tall switchboard fell on me and broke my leg. I was very lucky to be surrounded by many angels in saving my leg from being amputated. Dr HM Goh & my sister Elaine to make connections for me to be transferred to UMSC. Dr Chua who reconstructed my feet bones n rejoin tibia bone. Matron Ng who have helped to take care of my open wound. During the first 18 days stay in UMSC, my parents had cooked every meal for me, my wife who is 7 months into her pregnancy, stay strong on her feet to take good care of me. Imagine I had to shit on my hospital bed. Upon discharge, I had received a lot of never ending support from them to be able to walk on crutches. Everybody was very patient to me.
Thanks to my loving and patient dad, I was able to continue to do dressing at Matron Ng place 3 times a week. The dressing had helped my wound heal unexpectedly fast within 3 months.
On 29 Sep 2014, I had to undergo the third operation to change the external fixture to Illizarov ring, which had help to tilt my feet to the correct position. This time round, I only stayed 2 nights in the hospital.
Upon discharge and recovery period at home,I had to rest at home . We welcome our first baby to the family on 31th Oct 2014.
Things start to go downhill, I start to get infection on my almost healed wound. On  14th Nov 2014, I had to be admitted for bacteria infection and go into the 4th operation to take out some stubborn blood clot from my feet. This time the stay is going to be 2 weeks as I need the antibiotics to keep the bacteria away.
During this stay also, the k wires in my foot was removed. The team of doctors think that there is a chance that I might need further reconstruction surgery on my foot since the injury was too bad. This is the first time in my recovery process that I learnt I might not be able to walk on both feet in 4 months. I started to feel impatient and frustrated.
Angels came in again to help me.
My wife : to spend another 3 months to get back a feet which I can use for another 30 years.
My uncle : learn to accept the fact, take as much time as needed to recover, sooner or later I am going to come out from the pit stop to continue racing
My mom : who drove to many temples to ask for blessings for my recovery
My dad : although I can feel his frustration for me, he is able to stay calm and ask me to be patient with my recovery.

Fingers crossed, I hope by the time my tibia bone heal, I will be able to walk on my 2 feet. God has given me this chance to seriously stop and think what is important to me.
I will have time to watch my baby grow up (otherwise I will be too busy working)
I have the time to accompany my dad, talk to him. (Imagine his otherwise retired life)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home